11 May 2010

Green Tea Pancakes

So the weather is total craphouse in Wellington right now and Winter is not even here yet. What's with everyone saying how warm it is? My scarf is permanently glued to my neck! I wish I was back in Thailand. But more realistically, I wish I could stay at home and eat breakfast in bed instead of traipsing about in the early morning frost and waiting for a bus that is always late. Sigh.

This recipe is adapted from one I found online, I can't remember where exactly cos I scribbled it down in my notebook, so if it's yours.. uh, thanks? The amount of soymilk depends on how thick you like you pancakes. Actually, pancakes in New Zealand are along the lines of thick crepes, so I think these are more like hot cakes or large pikelets.


GREEN TEA PANCAKES

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Matcha powder
2 cups soy milk
1 Tbsp oil


Sift all dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Add wet ingredients and mix just to combine.. a few lumps are okay.

Heat a non-stick frypan on medium heat and pour on a blob of oil. When hot, use a large spoon to make the pancakes in a circular motion or else the pancakes will get too thick in the middle and won't cook evenly, and no one likes a soggy pancake. When bubbles start to appear on the surface, use a spatula to check the bottom is nicely browned and flip. I think it's common for the first pancake to be a disaster, so if yours tanks, don't be discouraged. Sometimes it helps to re-oil mid flip.

Serve with a nice glug of maple syrup.

Serves 1-2

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com