28 May 2010

Bean Patties with Bean Aioli

I don't know about you but it is cold here. Last night the heater was on in full force so my hands could defrost just so I could move my fingers. Wellington wind sure is lethal.

As I thawed out in front of said heater, in my state of frozen semi-conciousness I pondered over what my dinner choices were. Sandwich? Too cold, give me comfort food. Delivery? Too poor, no job. With a sinking feeling in the pit of my gut I realised I would have to step into that icebox of a kitchen and busy myself with food preparation. Or at least, freeze my ass off trying.

I only had a quarter of a block of tempeh left, a lot of silken tofu, a mugful of canned beans and some leftover rice, so while I was dillydallying with spices and whatnot it hit me: hey! I'm creating something here!


BEAN PATTIE WITH BEAN AIOLI

100g tempeh
Palm sized cube of silken tofu
1/4 cup of canned white beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup of cooked rice
1 Tbsp fennel seeds, toasted
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
salt & pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to boil and then steam the tempeh for 10 minutes. Crumble tofu in a bowl and stir in beans.

Add tofu, fennel seeds, and seasonings to bowl and mash until combined, not pureed.

Stir in cooked rice and breadcrumbs. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.

Heat olive oil in a frypan over medium heat. Cook patties for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Serve with bean aioli.


BEAN AIOLI

3/4 cup canned white beans
2 tsp garlic powder
1tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
salt & pepper

In a small bowl, mash together beans, garlic and lemon juice until soft. Add olive oil slowly, whisking continuously until smooth. Season to taste.

1 comments:

x said...

It's chilly here too, I am loving wintery-food right now.

These patties look great, did you do something similar to make the bean drumsticks?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com